I used to flick through TV channels with the remote in the hope I found something I liked. Now I subscribe to Sky+, pick my favorites and skip the annoying and interruptive ads.
Sky+ is turning millions into TV subscribers. They choose what they want to watch, record it, skip past the adverts and get back to the show! Sky+ is a great indicator for how people will use your website in the future, finding relevant content and consuming it at their convenience.
People are cramming more in a day than ever before. This means the amount of time users have to browse is getting smaller and smaller. You only have to look as far as social sites like Facebook to see that people are finding a place to get relevant content delivered to them in seconds. They feel really comfortable with this and are staying for the long haul. The Russian investors who have just paid $200m for a small slice of Facebook think so too.
As a website owner, think in these terms;
- People will increasingly find you through subscribers recommending others.
- People will only stay on your subscribers list if the content is useful to them.
- People want relevant updates fast (twitter, facebook, email, mobile phone or RSS)
- People want an easy way to share your content with friends.
- A subscriber is worth 10 times as much to you as a visitor…
The best way to increase your market share is to deliver highly relevant content to your subscribers, just like Sky+