I got sight of some interesting statistics last week showing that peoples use of the yellow pages is dwindling at its fastest ever rate.
The fact given was that the number of people using the book on a weekly basis has dropped by over 20% in the last 4 years. Interestingly yellow pages advertising rates don’t appear to have changed.
So is it worth being in Yellow Pages?
As with every form of advertising it all depends on your return on investment. On that basis you shouldn’t do yellow pages unless:
- You monitor where your leads come from
- You monitor how many of these leads turn into customers
- You look at the lifetime value of those customers
Once you have an understanding of how much your yellow pages customers are worth to you its a far simpler decision.
What about Yell.com?
Yell.com is a good site for local search its worth appearing on there but:
- It will not give your own site any google friendly back links
- Its going to be under serious threat from Google Local which is free
- Its going to be under increasing pressure from other free providers
Despite this exactly the same rules apply its all about your return on investment. Spend a pound, get more than a pound back in profit then go for it.
Here’s an example of what google shows you if you search for decorator in Northampton.
This ones easy, its free, it gives you a really high position on google and its easy enough that you can do this yourself. You can do it here